Join our Home Musicians community now!

Hello Guest - Register or Log-in now, to download the tunes, add your comments, ask questions or share advice with our home musicians community. You can also upload your original music, home studio photos, and post your own forum topics and blogs. [Login to hide note!]

How to set up Behringer Xenyx 802 Mixer?

Hello,
I am going to purchase a Behringer Xenyx 802 mixer and thought it would be wise tto find out how to set it up ahead of time. First off I'd like to list what I already have.

Stereo RCA to Mini Jack Converters X2
Audacity and Sound Forge Studio - I'm interested to know which will record off the mixer.
Microphones X2 - Not very good but will do for now.
PC- Onboard sound only

I would appreciate it if some one could either give me a link to something that will help me or just tell me how to set this up ans secondly point out an additional things I need to set up this mixer.

Regards Sgronert

Doctor Ryzl's picture

I suggest getting one of these: http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Behringer-UPHONO-UFO202-USB... but you don't need one if you have stereo RCA to 1/8" Phones jack y-cables. Which is what I think you have. With the above unit, you just need RCA cables and plug the CD/Tape ins and outs to the ins and outs of that unit. Out to In, In to Out. It also has an additional headphone jack on it so you can have a friend play engineer for you. That's what I used with my Xenyx. Also make sure you have ASIO4ALL installed. Get version 2.9 unless you have Windows 7, then get the new 2.10 beta. Then make sure its the asio driver selected in your audio recording program. Both Audacity and Sound Forge will work. Audacity will be a more simple interface, but Sound Forge will be a more in depth program... I don't like either for recording, because their multi-track recording sucks. Use either Audition, Cubase, or Sonar. E-mail me for more "info" on Audition and Cubase... And I hope you knop what I mean by "info" all in quotes like that. c4pr1c0rn.0n3 [AT] gmail [DOT] com

On the mixer, you'll see a section called tape out/tape in. Connect the tape out on the mixer to the mic in on your computer, and the tape in to the stereo output on your computer (headphone jack/speaker jack) Now plug your mic into input one on the mixer and connect your headphones to the "Control Room/Phones" jack. Make sure that the buttons above the VU meter are as such. Tape to Control is pressed, and Tape to Mix IS NOT PRESSED IN!!! If you have a Condenser Mic, make sure your Phantom Power is on. Its the blue light on the VU meter. If you just have basic dynamic mics, make sure it is NOT on. Now plug your mixer in. The cord to the xenyx line kinda sucks donkey dick, so I suggest plugging it into the mixer and taping it there and to turn the mixer off, unplug it from the wall. I'm not the only one who says this... read the comments to the instructional video below... oh yeah below is an instructional/introduction video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZSoInERNlA

Take two of these beats, and call me in the morning. Doctor's orders!

sgronert's picture

Thanks very much that gave everything I needed to Know.

Hello Guest - Register or Log-in now, to download the tunes, add your comments, ask questions or share advice with our home musicians community. You can also upload your original music, home studio photos, and post your own forum topics and blogs. [Login to hide note!]

Donations made to MakeTunes by the following members...
Check out their music to thank them for helping our community grow!

Spinelli - Ed - Audiohead - Julian Angel - Giechi Dan Productions - Mike_S - Bill - JonnyLightning - Illusive Mind - DanstheTsar - IngridTornado - Geomatic - Almighty Pattern - m1ch431 - dammedifiknow - TURK - DeletedTrack - heegs - MarCoast Beats. - pinepoint - disposition - doomydoom - NyceBeatz - Multiengine - deanomuz - Hosea Taylor - Light3000 - Mike Huntingford - Joon Yang - contrails over boston